When you a volunteer for Shine a Light on Lung Cancer, you're giving hope to Australians affected by lung cancer.
The walks will be held in central locations across Australia during the first weekend of November.
Hold your own walk
Taking on a Shine a Light walk is a rewarding experience that raises vital funds and awareness for lung cancer in your local community. In their first year the Shine a Light community walks ran across 4 locations, attracted over 470 attendees and raised over $27,000 to support research into lung cancer. This year we want the Shine a Light community walks available to more communities across Australia and for that, we need your help!
With full support from Lung Foundation Australia staff, you can hold your very own Shine a Light walk during the first weekend in November which is also Lung Cancer Awareness Month. While it may seem daunting at first, our previous volunteers will tell you it’s a fun and rewarding experience – they are all returning for another year to do it again!
Your walk can be big or small, last year we had some as small as 20 people & some as large as 200 people.
You can do your walk your way & however you feel most comfortable.
Register your interest in hosting a walk via the form below.
Register to volunteer
Fill out your details below and a team member will be in touch.
How you will be supported
Lung Foundation Australia will support and guide you through the event process every step of the way!
This will include:
- Weekly Zoom check ins to see how you are going.
- A volunteer guide with all the tips, tricks & details you need to hold your own walk.
- A supportive community of fellow volunteers that you can talk to and get inspiration from.
- Permit support for the location you choose to hold your event at.
- Full support from our community team.
- Lung Foundation Australia staff attendance on the day of your walk.
- An event kit with everything you will need on the day.
What will your role be?
Once you have signed up to host a walk, we will require you to:
- Select a location for your walk.
- Be present at the event on the day.
- Promote the walk within your local community – the more people who can attend the more opportunity to raise much needed funds!
- Local knowledge on the event location – best walking routes, parking etc.
- Commitment to staying onboard until the walk – with full support from us!
1 Apply to volunteer
Fill out the form above with your details.
2 Confirmation call
A staff member will reach out to offer more details and discuss with you about what you feel comfortable taking on.
3 Match with other volunteers
Wherever possible you will be matched with other volunteers in your area- many hands make light work!
4 Pick a location
Select a walk location in your community, we will work with you to acquire permits & identify any health & safety needs.
5 Start planning!
You will be invited to weekly meetings where you can ask any questions, get advice from other volunteers & receive support.
Please note, that by signing up to become a volunteer you are committing to staying on board until the event in November.
You will receive full support from our Lung Foundation Australia and our community team, as well as our other experienced volunteers. If you are interested in participating but are unsure if you can commit fully, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team for other ways you can get involved.
No expenses should be incurred by you. Lung Foundation Australia will cover any costs within a pre-agreed & reasonable range such as permit fees, first aid, AV & photography.
Have questions? Give the team a call on 1800 654 301 (option 1) or email us via the link below.Contact us